Browse by author
Lookup NU author(s): Professor Christopher Whitehead
Full text for this publication is not currently held within this repository. Alternative links are provided below where available.
This paper examines the numerous architectural projects associated with the National Gallery after the mid-nineteenth century, the articulation and presentation of art history in displays at the gallery and issues surrounding the practices of reconstructing of displays, both in historiographical and physical terms. The paper will do this by looking carefully at the north-east extension designed by E.M. Barry, which opened in 1876, and its display of foreign, and especially Italian, paintings. It will make reference to archival and other sources which can help both in reconstructing a sense of this historical display space and in considering its relevance today. This analysis will be accompanied by a discussion of some historiographical and methodological issues surrounding the practice of reconstructing, analysing and discussing historical displays, and a consideration of how this bears on the recent and ongoing physical 'restoration' of historic display spaces (for example at the National Gallery itself).
Author(s): Whitehead C
Publication type: Article
Publication status: Published
Journal: Journal of the History of Collections
ISSN (print): 0954-6650
ISSN (electronic): 1477-8564
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Altmetrics provided by Altmetric